Walleye are the most popular sport fish in Manitoba. Most walleye average 1 to 2 kilograms (2 to 4 pounds), which is an excellent eating size.
- Known for: Walleye are known for their peculiar, reflective eyes, and their tasty meat.
- Habitat: Walleye prefer reefs and deep weed beds.
- Spawning: Walleye spawn in the spring near streams, but will sometimes spawn on reefs containing sand or vegetation.
- Trivia: Walleye are sensitive to light and will go down as far as 40 feet on a bright, calm day.
Master Angler information
There have been over 1100 Master Angler walleye registered from Quesnel, Manigotagan, and Happy Lakes. Many more have been caught and not registered.
- Master Angler: 71 cm (28 in.)
- Manitoba record: 99 cm (39 in.)
- Lodge record: 92.50 cm (36.42 in.)
Click here for more information about the Manitoba Master Angler program